Monday, January 19, 2009

Day of Service


I kinda felt bad that I didn't volunteer at a community organization for the big MLK day of service.

Instead, I met with some people who helped me organize my campaign. They helped me refined my platform. They urged me to begin soliciting donations and even suggested where a big guy like me can find an affordable blazer.

When our discussion was over, I realized that my whole life has been about service. I worked in the fields as a migrant farm worker. I worked at non-profits as HIV/AIDS educator and coordinator. I'm a student at a community college and a university. I work in a library. I'm a freelance journalist and I'm running for a seat on the board of trustees.

For me, and for hundreds of other people, everyday is a day of service. My service will continue when I'm elected trustee.

0 comments: